Monday, March 15, 2010

We interrupt your regular programming...

Image by Darwin Bell (flickr)

I'll write more about grandparents' day goodies soon, I promise. I even have some photos (just have to download them from the camera). But I have something else to share for now. And seeing as this is my little corner of bloglandia where I get to make up the rules, I've decided that I don't have to pick up a post where the previous post left off.

Now that we've gotten those pleasantries out of the way, it's time for one of those good news/bad news stories.

The bad news first. Our daughter might have a dairy allergy. We've removed dairy from her diet and her icky rashes seem to have disappeared. So there is good news that something seems to be helping. Bad news is that she loves so many dairy things.

Who doesn't?

Like ice cream.

See. Who doesn't?

I couldn't live without cheese. But I digress from this story about my daughter, which of course is OK in my little corner of bloglandia.

OK. On to more good news. I now have a new culinary challenge - making non dairy yummies for my delicious little girl.

This is in addition to my other current culinary challenge that has arisen from husband's request to eat vegan at home - perhaps I will post on that anon.

My first experiment was chocolate mint ice "cream." I was intrigued by it because it calls for peppermint tea. [Plus, it's vegan. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone.]

Well, it was a smashing success! Even the dairy eaters liked it after eating a big meal.

YIPPEE!!!

Here's the recipe (I got found it at this webpage):

Non-Dairy Chocolate Mint Ice Cream

2 teaspoons kosher gelatin
1/4 cup peppermint tea, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
3-1/4 cups chocolate soy milk
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over apple juice. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until gelatin is dissolved and softened, about 10 minutes.

2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together honey and 2 cups soy milk. Cook until just hot, stirring frequently; remove from heat. Add softened gelatin to hot milk mixture, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining soy milk and peppermint extract; let cool, cover, and refrigerate until very well-chilled

3. Spoon chilled mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

Makes about 1 quart.

V PER 1/2 CUP SERVING: 127 CAL (17% FROM FAT), 4g PROT, 2.4 FAT, 22g CARB, 80mg SOD, 0mg CHOL, 0.6g FIBER.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment